Okay, now this is just sad

John McCain, newly inducted into the Protestant Denomination of the Month Club, spent some time pandering to fundies talking faith with Beliefnet.

McCain on religion and state:

I think the number one issue people should make [in the] selection of the President of the United States is, "Will this person carry on in the Judeo Christian principled tradition that has made this nation the greatest experiment in the history of mankind?"


McCain on whether Muslims can be president:

I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles.... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith. But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president. I don't say that we would rule out under any circumstances someone of a different faith. I just would--I just feel that that's an important part of our qualifications to lead.

Somewhere, bin Laden is smiling. Thanks for doing his work for him, Senator Straight Talk Express.

To be fair, McCain did do damage control and said he'd vote for a Muslim if he thought that person would be the best qualified. But he still thinks the US is a Christian nation. To wit:

I would probably have to say yes, that the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation. But I say that in the broadest sense. The lady that holds her lamp beside the golden door doesn't say, “I only welcome Christians.” We welcome the poor, the tired, the huddled masses. But when they come here they know that they are in a nation founded on Christian principles.

It's late-stage McCain's Disease, folks. The man is too far gone to be helped.

UPDATE: Whoops. Looks like McCain needs to do even more damage control. Man, I just love it when GOP candidates say stupid stuff and then have to talk themselves out of trouble. Like Whatshisname who thought employers should have the right to fire gay people. Say, what about the handful of hopefuls who don't believe in evolution? When are they going to start doin' the foot-in-mouth maneuvers for the press?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell us something we don't already know

We're the ones we've been waiting for, and all that