Laurie Anderson at Joe's Pub

Le Sweetie and I saw Laurie Anderson at Joe's Pub this evening. Ms. Anderson played a 7 PM show in a very intimate setting. I was totally unfamiliar with her music or much of anything about her. I was fearful that it would be an hour of esoteric mush, but was pleasantly surprised.

Normally, I don't really like electronic pop and I HATE programmed drumbeats with an utter passion. However, Anderson's a humorous, understated performer, making all kinds of witty asides in her monologues-cum-songs, inspiring random giggles from the audience. Another thing too--I usually wouldn't enjoy this sort of talk-singing, but Laurie Anderson does it effectively. She still has the spiky haircut, but despite a few wrinkles, seems ageless.

She even sings one song, "The Lost Art of Conversation." The lyrics are simple but effective, and Anderson has a delicate, pretty voice. I read about how she began taking voice lessons and was surprised when her teacher told her she was a soprano, not an alto. This is definitely an artist I can appreciate, even if I don't want to listen to her every other day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell us something we don't already know

We're the ones we've been waiting for, and all that