In Which The Truffle Goes to a Vigil

I went to one of the city's many, many vigils in support of Cindy Sheehan. We were right in front of the NBC building, in fact, and perhaps they'll run a ten-second segment on it at some point or other. Feh. The hell with TV news.

I've been to demos, but never a vigil. It was a well-mannered but passionate affair. Lots of people were holding candles and the occasional sign (with slogans gladly provided by Moveon.org). I got one of these small candles that I put in a Dixie cup. It's very easy to put a candle in a cup. You use the melting wax, let it drip into the cup, and stick in the candle. Presto.

There were a few women from Code Pink (a feminist peace organization that I know very little about). They were identifiable because of their pink outfits and hot pink buttons. They do seem like an interesting group. I'd like to find out more--but as for getting involved, there's a problem: I look awful in pink. It's my worst color.

Weirdly enough, earlier that day, I sent a care package to a US soldier in Iraq. There's a site called Anysoldier.com, which has listings for US troops needing snacks, toiletries, letters, and other good stuff. I wanted to do something for the troops, so I did it. Two bottles of body wash and five paperback novels. Not only am I supporting the troops, I'm also getting rid of some old books of mine. Man, did I need to clear off the shelf space!

The Rude Pundit, meanwhile, weighs in on the Preznit and the grieving mother. It has the splendid title of "President Who-Gives-a-Shit (Part 3, Wherein President Who-Gives-a-Shit Reveals That He Is the Exact Same Kind of Selfish Baby Boomer His Party Accused Bill Clinton of Being)." Classic stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell us something we don't already know

We're the ones we've been waiting for, and all that